Friday, November 13, 2009

Is there software that can tag and organize files on your computer like del.icio.us does for bookmarks?

I like Del.icio.us for bookmark management. Okay, a lot. What would be really cool and useful for me is something like a "tagcloud" that del.icio.us uses only for computer files. It would be software that could embed tags inside files or keep a database of descriptive words associated to them. I'm trying to get away from folder organization on Windows XP.





I realize Vista will have something similiar but I was wondering if there is something available now that I could start using.





Please don't mention online resources such as Tagworld for example that you have to upload your files to.

Is there software that can tag and organize files on your computer like del.icio.us does for bookmarks?
Brilliant Question, Jac!


I too would love such a thing.





All I know is for picture files - www.flickr.com is real good, but that requires uploading your pix, and I agree that is NOT the ultimate.





But for pictures on your hard drive, Picasa (from Google) is rather sensational ! Worth a look even if you don't decide to keep it !
Reply:Why not use a desktop search software like Copernic or Yahoo Desktop Search ? They automatically extract keywords from your Microsoft Office documents, html files, PDF's or any other format you choose.





Then you can search with keywords. Simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment